Wednesday, January 25, 2023

Be aware of the Double Standards

Event: Paul Before the Sanhedrin
S – Scripture
Acts 23 v. 3 Then Paul said to him, "God shall strike you, you white washed wall! Are you sitting to Judge me according to the law, and yet contrariety to the law you order me to be struck?
 


O – Observation
The old double standard. Paul was calling out the High Priest in this verse. The High Priest just had him hit in the mouth for what he had to say. The double standard exists when self-pride is consuming. Self-pride puts one above the law. It creates a double standard. It never ends good. At some point, the double standard will be exposed. Jesus gave us this example in the parable of the Pharisee and the tax collector. The Pharisee prayed/told God how great he was, and how he's not like the tax collector. Jesus concluded the parable with this insight found in Luke 18 v. 14b, "For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but he who humbles himself will be exalted."
 
A - Application
Sure I see double standards, but do I have my own?
 
P – Prayer
Jesus, forgive me when I apply my double standards, help me to humble myself. Love Will.
 

Photo by Jurica Koletić on Unsplash

No comments:

Post a Comment