Saturday, December 5, 2020

Comforter

 

COMFORTER

Guest Blog by Gary Riedel

S - Scripture:
John 14:26 But the Comforter, which is the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My Name, He shall teach you all things  and remind you of everything I have said to you.

O - OBSERVATION: 
Comforter, Counselor, Holy Spirit,Teacher, Sanctifier, these are all words to describe the 3rd person in the Trinity. The part of the Trinity that sometimes is almost an afterthought. But it’s not intended to be that way at all. In John 14:16, Jesus says I will pray to the Father and He will give you a Comforter that will abide with you forever. In the explanation of the 3rd article of the Apostles Creed, we confess; I believe that I cannot by my own reason or strength believe in Jesus Christ my Lord or come to Him, but the Holy Spirit calls, gathers and enlightens me.  Without the Spirit we could not even force ourselves to believe in Jesus.



A - APPLICATION: 
Why did I choose this verse during Advent? Because the beautiful words of prophecy in Isaiah, the story of John the Baptist and even the events of Luke 2, The Birth of Jesus, are meaningless if God’s Spirit does not stir us to faith in Jesus Christ and what He has done for us. The message of the Gospel, the balm of healing and peace we feel in our hearts at any time, and especially at this time of the year are there because of the work of the COMFORTER.

P - PRAYER: Gracious Father, please grant all of us a full measure of Your Holy Spirit, that we may be confident in the purpose of the greatest gift ever given to Your people. In Jesus Name, Amen 

No comments:

Post a Comment