Saturday, August 14, 2021

Kicking Against the Goads

 Kicking Against the Goads

Guest Blog by Gary Riedel



S - SCRIPTURE: 
Acts 26:14b “Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.”

O-OBSERVATION: These are the words of Jesus as He spoke to Paul on the way to Damascus. First of all a goad is a stick, blunt on one end, and sharpened on the other. It is used by those driving teams of oxen. When the ox would bulk at pulling the load, the driver would prod it gently at first, to help the ox make up his mind. Sometimes a stubborn ox would kick the goad, which hurt considerably more. So, when Jesus confronted Saul the persecutor on the road to Damascus, the statement fit perfectly, for Paul, rather than listening to the words of the disciples and perhaps the gentle nudging of God’s Spirit, was kicking against the goad and Jesus got his attention by blinding him. The point of the stick, blindness, forced Saul to listen.

A - APPLICATION: What about you and I, when Jesus is urging us to step out for Him, how often have I kicked against the goad? As a farmer how many times have I used my profession as an excuse not to come to an important meeting at church. How many times do we simply say I’m too busy! In my job I’m finally beginning to understand the harvest is His. He gives me the ability to plant the crop, He gives the rain and sunshine in proper increments, He harnesses the storm
to protect the crop. I’m only a simple steward of the land He graciously gives me for the years he has preordained for me, Psalm:139:16. Psalm 24:1a The earth is the Lord’s and the fullness thereof. You see, the land is His, the harvest is His, thankfully, I am His! For that I will sing His Praises with every breath that I am able until I’m with Him forever!

P - PRAYER: Oh Gracious Father, help me to never kick against the goad again, but rather let me heed your call on every part of my life. Help me to surrender all to You, In Jesus Name, Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment