Sunday, May 17, 2020

Listen and Follow

LISTEN AND FOLLOW
Guest Post by Tom Hoien


Scripture:
Matthew 2:19-23  “But when Herod died, behold, an angel of the Lord appeared in a dream to Joseph in Egypt, saying, “Rise, take the child and his mother and go to the land of Israel, for those who sought the child’s life are dead.”  And he rose and took the child and his mother and went to the land of Israel.  But when he heard that Archelaus was reigning over Judea in place of his father Herod, he was afraid to go there, and being warned in a dream he withdrew to the district of Galilee.  And he went and lived in a city called Nazareth, so that what was spoken by the prophets might be fullfilled, that he would be called a Nazarene.”

OBSERVATION:

As PT would say, there is “A LOT IN THESE FEW VERSES”.  Indeed there is, but I chose to title this blog “Listen and Follow”.  Why?  Will Kiehl talked about “character” in his May 2nd blog, and the scripture he used also applied to Joseph.  I agree that Joseph was a person of “good character”, and he cared for, and protected, Mary and Jesus during the early years of Jesus’ life.  But in addition to being a person of “good character”, he was a willing follower of the Lord…even though he did not fully realize that he was protecting and caring for THE LORD!  

These few verses reference the third, and I believe the fourth, time that Joseph directly heard from an  angel of the Lord.  Just as he did the first two times, Joseph listened to the message he heard…and he followed through with what he had been told to do.  These actions also illustrate the parallels of Moses, as the leader of God’s people out of the wilderness (Egypt) and into the land that was promised to Abraham by the Lord God…and the life of Jesus coming out of the “wilderness” to return to the “promised land” to save them from their slavery to the “law”.

These visions from the Lord return Mary and Joseph to where they grew up…in Nazareth!  That had to have been an “uncomfortable move” for both of them, but it insured that Jesus would grow up in a “lowley” and “insignificant place”, perhaps the most unimportant part of Israel!  Was the humble beginnings of the life of Jesus, THE MESSIAH, an accident?  NOT A CHANCE!  So despite the “difficulty” of returning to the town both Mary and Joseph were from, Joseph listened to the angel of the Lord and took Mary and the young boy, Jesus, to this lowley and unimportant place.  

APPLICATION:

So we have Joseph, a man of “character”, and a man that “listens” to what the Lord is speaking to him.  AND, he actually follows the instructions he receives from the Lord.  Now we know there is not a lot about Joseph in scripture, but what we do know is that he
listend and followed the insturctions or direction he received from an angel of the Lord!
So, am I “listening”…because I can’t follow if I’m not listening.  How about you?  Sometimes I get so “busy” that I am not listening to anyone…including the Lord.  How about you?  Are we, even in this time of “self isolation” due to the COVID-19 virus, so “busy” or “pre-occupied” that we are not even taking the time to “listen” to what the Lord is saying to us?  
I need to make sure I’m taking the time to be in God’s Word each day…and then spending some time “listening” to what He is “tellling” me.  I’m certain I won’t be “hearing” what He wants me to know and understand, if I don’t spend time reflecting on His Word.

PRAYER:

Lord, I ask that You help me, not only spend time in Your Word each day…but that You teach me to “listen” to what You are wanting to tell me and what You want me to better understand.  Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment